I love Fall, especially the comfort food. This is the perfect dish for a night in with your favorite movie with a cozy blanket.
When it comes to cooking chowders and soups you can put just about anything in the pot. Once you have your liquid base simmering, it’s an open ball park.
Caramelizing 2 whole leeks chopped (the “cousin” to green onions), shallots, and garlic is an important step because this where a lot of the flavor comes from. Such a powerful smell with these three fresh ingredients are now forming in your kitchen. Stir often on medium heat, because the leeks will burn if you aren’t watching them. I walked away for about three minutes, if it had been one minute longer, they would have been sticking to the bottom of the pot.
For thickening I used whole wheat flour. You can use corn starch instead if you’d like, but I like the consistency that comes from the flour.
Clam juice is totally optional, this was just an extra ingredient I wanted to experiment with for flavor.
Seafood *heart eyes emoji*
Tip: Add a dash of flour on raw shrimp while marinating to ensure long lasting tenderness. When cooking shrimp, it’s easy for them to over cook and tough shrimp is the worst.
The Creamy Part:
Heavy whipping cream is what makes a chowder so comforting. I don’t have any healthy substitutions this time. When it comes to this dish, dairy is a must.
The thing I love about homemade soups, chowders, bisques etc…they taste even better the next day, because all the ingredients have had some time to form their flavors together.
- 3 tbsp Butter
- 3 tbsp Coconut Oil
- 2 whole Leeks, Chopped
- 1 whole Shallot, Chopped
- 4 Garlic Cloves, Chopped
- 3 stalks Celery, Chopped
- 2/3 cups Whole Wheat Flour
- 6 cups Dry White Wine
- 1 cup Clam Juice
- 1 tbsp Better Than Bouillon Vegetable Seasoning Base
- 1/2 tsp Jerk Sauce (optional)
- 1 tbsp Ground Cumin
- 1 tbsp Smoked Paprika
- 1 tbsp Old Bay Seasoning
- 5 Potatoes, Peeled and Chopped
- 2 tsp Fresh Thyme, Stems Removed
- 2 tsp Fresh Basil
- 3 tsp Fresh Chives, Chopped for Topping
- 2 tsp Fresh Rosemary, Chopped and Stems Removed
- 1 pound Lump Crab Meat
- 1 pound Shrimp
- 1/2 pound Scallops
- 1/2 pound Cod Chunks
- 2 cups Sweet Yellow Corn
- 2 cups Heavy Cream or Half & Half
- In a large pot heat butter and coconut oil over medium high heat. Add leek, shallots, garlic, and celery. Next add thyme, basil, and rosemary, cook until lightly brown.
- Sprinkle wheat flour over the top, cook until well combined. Next, slowly stir in dry white wine and clam juice to prevent lumps. Add potatoes, vegetable seasoning base, jerk sauce (optional), cumin, paprika, old bay seasoning. Reduce to low and cook for 30 minutes, or until potatoes are tender.
- Stir in all seafood and corn, cover and simmer for 10-12 minutes.
- Remove from heat, and stir in heavy cream.
- Garnish with chopped chives. Serve and enjoy!