You know what’s funny, I don’t like key lime at all! I made these vegan treats for my loved ones because they love it, and they came out divine. I’ll be making all kinds of deserts this upcoming holiday season and this was a recipe that I have perfected. With this great addition to the Thanksgiving desert table, your family will be pleasantly surprised how these easy, no-bake, vegan pie bites light up the evening.
Coconut is a main factor in this recipe because it calls for coconut milk and coconut oil. Try adding some fresh coconut shavings, I didn’t think of that until the end…but I know it will add even more personality to each bite.
Try not to buy a generic brand for the graham cracker crumbs, because it will make a difference.
My favorite part is making the crust. The smell alone after you’ve combined the graham cracker and vegan butter will tingle your senses. This crust can also be used for any kind of pie, and it’s extremely fool proof.
You want a thick-sandy consistency when mixing the butter and graham cracker crumbs together. Taste the crust before you put it in the liner, you’ll love it.
The rum and vanilla extract is key for the filling because it evens out the tangy-ness from the fresh lime juice. If you like tangy, add more lime juice or less rum and vanilla.
Right now I feel like I have a mini obsession with small bite size food. You can easily pack these bites in a to-go container, and take them to your next holiday party. I’m so proud of these, because they literally came out perfect; & if you didn’t know already baking isn’t my strong suit, but I’m getting better every time I create something new.
After three hours in the freezer, the key lime pie bites will be ready for you and your loved ones to indulge after dinner.
- 1 1/4 cups graham cracker crumbs
- 4 tbsp vegan butter or coconut oil
- 1 cup raw cashews, soaked 4-6 hours, then drained
- 3/4 cup coconut milk, well shaken
- 1/4 cup coconut oil, melted
- 1/2 cup freshly squeezed lime juice (3-4 large limes)
- 1 tbsp lime zest, topping
- 1/2 cup sugar or agave
- 1 tsp rum extract
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp nutmeg
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Line with mini or standard muffin liner, depending on what size you have.
- Add graham to food processor or blender, grind until fine. Put crumb in a bowl add melted vegan butter or coconut oil, mix until well combined.
- Evenly press graham mixture on the bottom of liner. Bake for 7-8 minutes, remove and set aside.
- Add all filling ingredients to blender, blend on High until creamy and smooth. Adjust to flavor.
- Pour filling into muffin liners, top with lime zest and loosely cover.
- Freeze for 3-4 hours. Wait 10 minutes before you indulge.