I was searching on Pinterest for holiday recipe ideas, and came across a lot of bbq and cranberry recipes. Most of them were meatball recipes, but I wanted to switch it up and make chicken wings. I don’t think Pinterest has cranberry bbq chicken wings…so here we are.
Although I have never made a cranberry and bbq sauce, I knew the two flavors would pair together perfectly.
I know I say this for a lot of my recipes…but this one is also fairly easy. You’re basically just throwing some seasoning on the wings, mixing your favorite bbq sauce and cranberry sauce together and sliding them into the oven.
I seasoned the chicken with Adobe Seasoning, just something basic to get a general flavor going. You can use whatever you have in your kitchen because the overall flavor is the cranberry and bbq.
Making the sauce is super easy. Of course you guys know I had to spice it up a little with my favorite seasoning…jerk sauce. Totally optional, but I do recommend the jerk sauce, adding just a little bit will spark it up.
If you don’t like jerk what so ever, try finding another seasoning that would taste great with everything. Having a signature “go-to” seasoning/sauce is what makes your cooking unique.
Before you base the chicken with the cranberry/bbq sauce, you want to cook them a little bit in the oven first to make sure the wings are being cooked thoroughly. This is because the bbq is really thick and somehow if you put the sauce on raw chicken into the oven, it will not cook all the way through.
I had a lot of extra sauce from this recipe, so I froze what was left over and later in the week I used it on shrimp. I wish I would have documented that recipe because the shrimp came out beautifully. Any who, this sauce can be used in many different ways, on any kind of meat or seafood.
Overall this dish has the holiday favorite flavors, and will without a doubt get you in the spirit.
- 1 lb Chicken Wings
- 1 can Cranberry Sauce
- 1 cup Bbq Sauce
- 1 tbsp Adobo Seasoning
- Chopped Chives, Topping
- 1/2 tsp Jerk Seasoning (optional)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Clean and pat dry chicken wings, place in baking dish and add adobo seasoning.
- In a small pot add cranberry sauce and bbq sauce over medium high heat. Stir until smooth and creamy. Add optional jerk sauce if desired and turn off heat.
- Cover chicken with foil and place in oven for 30-40 minutes; check periodically. (the chicken may need more cooking time, depending on your type of oven)
- Remove chicken from oven, and distribute cranberry/bbq sauce generously on the chicken.
- Next, cover chicken with foil and place back in oven for 20-25 minutes.
- Remove chicken from oven, take off foil, add more sauce over chicken, and place back into oven uncovered for about 15 minutes or until chicken is crusted on top.
- Top with chives, serve and enjoy!